Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I Love my Country

I do. I think that, after the Catholic Church, the United States of America is the greatest force for good in the world.

I, too, expect to meet God as an American.

There, I said it.

You see, I stumbled upon this site, and downloaded a series of the speeches, starting with Roosevelt's Pearl Harbor address to Congress, through Gen. MacArthur's farewell speech, to Reagan's 40th anniversary of D-Day remarks and his Brandenburg Gate Address.

Then I downloaded Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech to the civil rights marchers on the mall in August, 1963, and right after that I listened to Bobby Kennedy's extemporaneous remarks to the gathered crowd in Indianapolis, when he told them Dr. King had been murdered.

I know the "I Have a Dream" speech by heart, and have heard it upward of a thousand times. I am not in the least ashamed to say that I was already weeping at the "vaults of opportunity".

America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great. - Attr. Alexis de Tocqueville

My thoughts are tending in this direction, and there will be more.

No comments: