Friday, June 19, 2009

Quel esprit? Homage to Piccari

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662) thought necessary to distinguish between the esprit de finèsse and the esprit de geométrie. In my young age and even later, being alien to the finèsse required by geométrie, I held to such a distinction.

I mean, I thought that one thing was to be able to appreciate the beauty of art and literature, of which I was capable, and another to perform the operations required by mathematics and by the physical sciences that use it as their primary language, out of my range.

When almost fifty years old, I met an undescribable man, his name was Franco Piccari (1929-2008), mathematician, engeneer, philosopher and theologian, and on the top of it musician, who showed and taught me how wrong Pascal was.

You want the moral of the story? Well, I have already given it to you.

No comments: